Search This Blog

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Expanding Your Horizons One Department At A Time

They say that change is a good thing.  And well, I did plan on making 2015 the year in which change becomes a major part of my life.

I just never really expected a change quite like this.

So, as of now, I will be going to my fourth different department in two years at the place that I have worked at for the last decade.  This will also be the tenth position that I have held overall.

At least, I THINK that it'll be ten.  Let's see...

Second Shift In-Stock - 12/2004 - 12/2004 (I lasted three days)
Store Standards - 12/2004 - 01/2006
Garden Centre - 04/2005 - 06/2005 ; 04/2013 - 07/2013
Dry Grocery - 01/2006 - 08/2007
Frozen Foods - 08/2007 - 02/2008
Dairy - 02/2008 - 04/2013
Produce - Off and on between 2011 and 2013
Meats - Off and on between 2011 and 2013
Electronics - 07/2013 - 02/2015
Hardware - 02/2015 - ????

Yeah, I should mention that I had two separate stints in garden centre, and that I picked up shifts in produce and meats while I was working in grocery.  That all adds up.



But yes.  I will be moving to the hardware department effective February 7, 2015.  Yowza, that's only a few days from now!

And you know what?  I say bring it on!

As it stands right now, I'll be moving to a department that is well laid out anyway.  All I would really have to do is wander the area for a couple of days and I would feel confident enough to direct people to the right area.



If anything, I would think that the one thing that would give me trepidations would be the idea of knowing how to mix paint.  I scoped out the paint mixing machine, and I think it looks simple enough to use.  Of course, the signs that say "Please wear safety glasses when using" and "Do not put flammable things inside of this machine or it will explode" sort of freak me out a little.

But I'm not too worried.  Everyone I have talked to have said that mixing paint is easier than it looks, and that it's not too stressful to do.  So, I'm taking their word for it.

I think in the long run, I will probably be okay in my new area of the store.  After all, I am located next to the garden centre now, which is an area that I have previous experience in.  I may also have to cover sporting goods as well, which isn't so bad. 

I guess I will find out February 7 to know for sure what will happen.  But I guess when it comes to the idea of leaping into a new department, I'm more prepared to do so than I have ever been in the past.  I can't always say that I have been like this.

Part of the reason why I stayed in the grocery department for so long (seven years total) was because I didn't think I was good enough to do anything else.  But after being bounced around the store from area to area, I realize that this is not the case.  I was completely out of my element when I was in the garden centre, but somehow I made it work, and I thrived there.  Electronics caused me quite a lot of stress, but somehow I got through it.  And I'm sure that I will get through this latest challenge.

I also think that going to other areas of the store will strengthen my wealth of knowledge in a lot of ways.  Before I moved to electronics, I could consider myself to be someone who was one degree away from being Amish, but now I am quite skilled in technology to be able to understand it better than ever before.  I'm not perfect, mind you, but I am definitely a lot better.

I trust that hardware will be the same exact way.  I can't say that I know how to build anything, but maybe being around tools and screws and nuts and bolts will help me absorb knowledge through osmosis.  Maybe I'll be able to tell the difference between different brands of adhesives and fasteners.  Heck, maybe I could mix my own perfect shades of purple and blue house paint for when I finally find that perfect place to live.

(That, of course, is still ongoing.)

The point is, why try to hide from change?  Sometimes it can be a good thing.  And in each and every instance in which I moved departments, I questioned whether or not I could handle it.  And when I found that I could, it made me feel more confident about myself.

And being confident means being comfortable.  Believe me.  It's a good feeling.


No comments:

Post a Comment